It is quite natural for us to forget our WiFi password. We enter it only once in our PC and it gets automatically connected if the network is nearby. And then when we always thought on how to find WiFi password in Windows.
We are always advised to use strong passwords and Windows 10 helps to recover them if we forget. In case you do not use your Windows WiFi password and suddenly need to give it to someone else. There are chances that you want to use it on a different device and do not remember the password.
There are various ways to find a Wi-Fi password right inside your Windows system. Here, in this article, we will be describing the methods to find the Wi-Fi password in Windows.
Each method is useful depending on what you prefer and how much you know about the PC settings. You can pick up from the several methods defined below. So, let’s not just waste more time and check out how to find Wi-Fi password in Windows if you forget it.
- How to Find Wi-Fi Password in Windows
- 1. How to Find Wi-Fi Password in Windows Using Control Panel
- 2. How to Find Wi-Fi Password in Windows Using Windows Settings App
- 3. How to Find WiFi Password in Windows Using a Power Shell Command
- 4. How to Find Wi-Fi Password in Windows Using a Third-party Password Viewer
- 5. How to Find Wi-Fi Password in Windows Using Router Website
- 6. Find WiFi Password on your Router
- 7. Reset your Router Device
- 8. Install a Clean Copy of Windows
- Signing Off…
How to Find Wi-Fi Password in Windows
We will be describing each method one by one to find Wi-Fi password in Windows. So, check these out and find the method you think is easy for you.
Related: How to Fix WiFi Keeps Disconnecting?
1. How to Find Wi-Fi Password in Windows Using Control Panel
Wi-fi network settings can always be accessed if you use the RUN command. This method should definitely work. To find out the Wi-Fi password in Windows using the run command, check the below steps on how to do so:
- Type Control Panel in Task Bar Menu search bar to open Control Panel in your Windows system.
- Once the Control Panel is opened, click on Network and Sharing Center.
- Here, you need to click on Network name which you are using on your Windows system to access Wi-Fi.
- A new window names Wi-Fi Status will open, click on Wireless Properties.
- Go to Security Tab in Wireless Properties and click on the Show Characters to reveal your password.
That is it, this is you can use Network Center to find Wi-Fi password in Windows. Ain’t that easy?
To make the process easier for the next time. You can follow these steps to open Network and Sharing Center directly from the Control Panel.
Press Windows+R keys simultaneously on your keyboard. Once the Run Command is open, type command ncpa.cpl and click on OK to proceed further. Using the above command will open Network and Sharing Center directly on your system.
2. How to Find Wi-Fi Password in Windows Using Windows Settings App
If you think the above process is a lengthy one, then finding Wi-Fi password using Settings is one of the most convenient methods. Let’s check how you can do easily but following the below steps:
- Click on Windows Icon on the left-hand bottom corner of the desktop screen. Click on Settings from here.
- Once the Settings app is open, click on Network & Internet.
- This will open the Network and Internet settings from where you will be scrolling down to reach the Network and Sharing Centre.
- This will open Network and Sharing Centre in Control Panel just like the above procedure. Follow Steps 3 – 6 from ‘How to Find Wi-Fi Password in Windows using Control Panel”.
This is another way in case your Control Panel is not working or you are not able to use the command we have mentioned above. No matter which solution you choose to find Wi-Fi Password in Windows, both are equally easy.
3. How to Find WiFi Password in Windows Using a Power Shell Command
This is a more advanced method using Power Shell, you can also use a Network Shell Command to view a host of details about your network including the Wi-Fi password.
Using this method, you can also find out about all the passwords that you were connected to previously. This method is useful in many conditions especially you want to give an office Wi-Fi password from the comfort of your home. It can be done without connecting to the office network. This method will not work if you have used the ‘Forget’ option previously to forget details about the network.
It is important for you to know the SSID of the Wi-Fi network to use the netsh command. This is not a problem if you are connected to the network as you know its name, but this will not work if you want to see a previously connected network’s password.
Powershell command comes in as extremely useful if you want to know the Wi-Fi password of the previous network. So, do not worry if you don’t know the SSID name of the Wi-Fi network, we can easily find it out using the Power Shell command.
Let’s check out the step-by-step process to find out the Wi-Fi Password in Windows:
- Type Windows Powershell in the Task Menu Search Bar. Click on Windows Powershell once you find it.
- You have to enter the below command and then click on Enter. The user profile section has all the saved networks that you have used.
netsh wlan show profiles
- To proceed further, you can copy the name of the network which we will use in the next command.
- To know the password of any of the saved networks you have to use the below command and replace the Wi-Fi part with the actual name of the network.
netsh wlan show profile “name=wifiname” key=clear
- Click on Enter after typing the above command. This will show a lot of information about the network you have typed.
- Here you will find that next to the Key Content the password will be written in the Security section.
4. How to Find Wi-Fi Password in Windows Using a Third-party Password Viewer
A third-party app can be used to view all the saved passwords and networks. These apps are particularly useful if you keep forgetting your password or want to share with other people.
You can use third-party apps even if you want to perform more advanced tasks like exporting or importing Wi-Fi passwords. Once such an app comes to our mind instantly is WirelessKeyView from Nirsoft that should be given a try.
This app is absolutely free to use and has a simple user interface that can perform advanced tasks in a matter of a few clicks.
- Download the WirelessKeyView and open the program once it is downloaded.
- It will automatically start scanning and list all the Wi-Fi network and their programs under the Key (Ascii) section. There are lot many other details about the network that can be found after double-clicking on a network name.
If you are somehow not convinced WireKeyView, there are a few other apps that you can download to find Wi-Fi password in Windows. Some of these are:
5. How to Find Wi-Fi Password in Windows Using Router Website
No matter what kind of router you use to access the Wi-Fi network in your system, it has some kind of web interface that can be used to access or edit the router’s settings.
In the router settings, an option to change the password and view is definitely there. There are no sets of universal instructions that can be provided to help this. The reason being routers have different addresses to access the web interface. Even, the interface itself is different depending on the router manufacturer.
However, you can use WhatsMyRouterIP to find the web interface address of your router easily. Once the website is open, “check out Your router’s local/private IP is” section. Open in the new tab or click Open from here which will open the router’s interface.
Once the settings are open, look for Wireless Option and SSID configuration. Here, you will have the option to Show Password or something like this which will help you to find Wi-Fi password in Windows.
6. Find WiFi Password on your Router
The default password is written behind or under the router if you have not changed it till now. It is usually an 8-digit password that you can find by checking the router.
7. Reset your Router Device
The router can also be reset along with the Wi-fi passwords if none of the above methods work. Once you reset your router, you can then use the default password to connect to the network.
There should be a reset button on the router to press and hold the router for 5-10 seconds to reset the router. It is inside a hole on most routers so to press hold it you should use a paper pin.
8. Install a Clean Copy of Windows
It might happen that even after using all the above methods, you are not able to retrieve the Wi-Fi password. We know that this is irritating for you and the last savior is installing a fresh copy of Windows OS. This is an option we do not want to try but we have to consider it if nothing works.
For a clean install of Windows OS, we need to erase our hard drive, promptly followed by a Windows operating system. The clean install process is time- consuming and we at times lose everything in the process. But once the process is over everything pretty much returns to the same state.
Using the above methods allows anybody to retrieve a Wi-Fi password in Windows. Those networks become accessible if you log in from other devices or share the password with your friends.
Wi-fi passwords are difficult to remember if you have been using the device for a long time. Forgetting a Wi-fi password is natural and you need to connect to a new device or reconnect to an existing device the process to find a Wi-Fi password in Windows will prove to be efficient.
We are sure these solutions will help you find Wi-Fi password in Windows. If you still have any confusion, do let us know in the comments section below and we will try to solve it as soon as possible. Also, if you know any other know-how to retrieve Wi-Fi password details in Windows, do not forget to share with us.